I have been doing a lot of thinking around relationship building and collaboration. In particular, what qualities make someone a good relationship builder or collaborator. Here are some of my ideas:
- Humble: ability to put one’s ego aside, receive feedback on their ideas, and hear opinions different to their own.
- Open minded: ability to ascertain diverse solutions to a problem and avoid quick judgements.
- Curious: ability to ask questions to find out more about others opinions, interests and contexts. Avoids making assumptions about a situation or other.
- Good Listener: hears what is being said not what one wants to hear. Asks more questions.
- Empathetic: ability to put oneself in another’s shoes and understand different perspectives.
- Perceptive: ability to recognize difference of opinion or understanding about a topic. To recognize when someone feels like they are not being listened to. Or notice when someone has not given their opinion.